Field Notes: Black Ice (Winter 2016)
Field Notes Black Ice. Eternal, shiny and chrome. Set of 3, ruled paper.
Options presented upon check-out for 1-3 day delivery
Condition: Brand new, sealed.
Set of 3. Each book measures 3-1/2" wide by 5-1/2" tall. Ruled Paper, 48 pages.
From Field Notes: If you follow our exploits, you know that we love to explore materials, inks, printing processes and other special effects with our Quarterly Editions. At first glance, you'll see we've taken foil stamping to an extreme. We've stamped Sappi's premium McCoy 100# cover stock with a silvery-black metallic foil, covering the whole book, everything but the spine. That portion features a stripe of vibrant orange ink with a soft-touch varnish. The cover text is embossed, giving the whole book a retro-futuristic machine feel.
But the biggest difference between Black Ice and our usual Field Notes is a bit less obvious if you don't look closely. This is our first pocket memo book without staples! The books are PUR-bound, using an advanced polyurethane adhesive that's both stronger and more flexible than regular perfect binding. We've been wanting to try out PUR binding for a while and this paper/color combination seemed like a perfect fit.
Inside, you'll find "Bright White" Finch Fine Smooth 70# text paper, a brighter-white version of the paper found (and beloved) in our "America the Beautiful" limited edition. It's ruled in "Frost Gray" with a double-rule of "DDC Orange" up top.
It all turned out to be a very complicated printing process, involving a lot of testing, lots of steps, many press checks and some serious challenges for our printers. In the end, they came through and really nailed it. These books look simply amazing.
01. Proudly printed by the good people of eDOC Communications, Mount Prospect, Ill.
02. Cover: Sappi McCoy 100#C Silk with a brute force, 1-color application of "DDC Orange" soy-based Saphira ink with soft-touch varnish.
03. Cover stamped with Crown "Black Ice" foil by Nu Wave Die Cutting & Finishing, Chicago, Ill.
04. Cover text embossed by Nu Wave Die Cutting & Finishing, Chicago, Ill.
05. Innards: Finch Paper Fine Smooth 70#T "Bright White," with a fine, 2-color application of "DDC Orange" and "Frost Gray" soy-based Saphira inks.
06. Printed on a Heidelberg Speedmaster XL 105 40" 6-color printing press.
07. Bound by Specialty Finishing Group, Elk Grove Village, Ill., with the Wohlenberg Quickbinder PUR system with Henkel TechnoMelt PUR 3365 glue and Henkel TechnoMelt GA 007A hinge-side glue.
08. Corners precisely rounded to a 3/8" (9.5mm) radius with a Challenge SCM double round-corner machine.
09. Ruled lines: 1/4" (6.4mm). 48 Pages.
10. Memo book dimensions are 3-1/2" - 5-1/2" (89mm - 140mm).
11. FIELD NOTES uses only the Futura typeface family (Paul Renner, 1927) in its materials.
12. All FIELD NOTES memo books are printed and manufactured in the U.S.A.
13. UPC 858493003479
You might also like